Wednesday, May 14, 2008

thirft store tuesdays

yes. i am know it is not tuesday. though, for the first half of the day i thought it was tuesday as i planned this post in my head. so, oh well, its thrift store tuesday on wednesday.

i haven't been thrift storing in a realllllly long time. so this post is going to be about all my existing thrift store finds in my family room. please excuse the sucky pictures, they were taken a while ago when i was playing with settings on my camera.


  1. This was the inspiration for this whole room. Leather chair, found at my church's flea fling, $10.
  2. Leather foot stool, at the perfect height, found at City Mission thrift store, $10.
  3. Funny little table, I refinished the top by stripping off the existing polyurethane and stain, I restained it, painted the edge and coated it with poly, found at the Amvets on Hertel, $12.
  4. Two light fixture, a thrift store find from my mom so I don't know the details. Hard to see in this picture really... but the paper shades are perfectly in tact which is hard to find.
  5. Two tier TV stand, free from a friend
  6. This is actually a desk, the very skinny strip above the 3 drawers is a pull out writing surface, and the space above with the verticle slats opens up for more store, I painted the shelves (they had red ink stains on them), added a fresh coat of stain to the whole things, new hardware on the drawers ($1.50 each), and my dad reglued the bottom leg on. St Vincent de Paul Thrift store, $20.
  7. Hard to see on here, but there are 4 vintage cameras (now 5) on these shelves, my mom found these as well, a few bucks each.
  8. Solid wood coffee table, a couple of scratches on top covered with matching stain, The Stock Exchange on Hertel, combined purchase with #12, $175 for the two(minus $100 gift card!).
  9. Light teal lamp, hard to see in this photo again, another one of my mom's finds, not sure on info, it think $2.
  10. Lamp shade, City Mission Thrift Store, $7.
  11. End table, solid wood, with brass wrapped on legs, A+ Thrift store, $30 (my mom and I trying to get this in my Jetta - priceless. Sean had to come get us with his parent's van)
  12. Leather chair, just cleaned up with some lemon juice and cream of tartar, also from The Stock Exchange on Hertel, combined purchase with #8, $175 for the two (-$100 gift card)
so that's everything so far. my mom joked I will get all the furniture in my house for under $1000. now I am not sure she is too far off....

ps: what does everyone think about the glass block wall? i have a love hate relationship with it and have a different plan for it everyday.

1 comment:

Michelle and the City said...

this post does not surprise me in the least. you've always been thrifty ;)

i love how everything came together though. i really like it.

personally i'm not a fan of the wall. i've seen those a lot in bathrooms and i've never really liked them.